Council plans to improve the playing surfaces of Esplanade Oval in 2019/20 and Wattie Watson Oval in 2020/21 as part of Council's Sportsground Renewal Program.
These works will complement the scheduled lighting improvements in 2019/20 and provide uniformity with the resurfacing of Head Street Oval that was completed in 2017.
Esplanade Oval will be completely closed while the playing surface is upgraded and the grass is grown in with the anticipated open time for the surface sometime around mid-2020. The lighting project is also planned to be completed by mid-2020 with both oval and lights to be used during the 2020 winter sports season.
Wattie Watson Oval and Head Street Oval will remain open during the upgrades, however, minor disruptions may occur around the perimeter of the sports fields.
The expected upgrade timelines are:
- December 2019 - sportsground surface upgrade contract awarded.
- January 2020 - sportsground lighting upgrade contract awarded.
- January 2020 to mid 2020 - Esplanade Oval surface upgrade.
- March 2020 to mid 2020 - Elwood Reserve sportsground lighting upgrade.
- October 2020 to April 2021 - Wattie Watson Oval surface upgrade.