- Council Resolution7 Mar 2018Council resolves to enter into a Heads of Agreement for the potential redevelopment of the site as community housing.
- Public Notice Peroid15 Aug 2018Public notice of the Council's intention to sell the site in accordance to the Heads of Agreement and consider public submissions.
- Development Application19 Dec 2020HousingFirst (as Trustee) development application prepared, lodged and publically exhibited.
- Site Redevelopment1 Jan 2025Redevelopment carried out by HousingFirst (as Trustee).
- Site Transfer1 Feb 2025Transfer of site to HousingFirst (as Trustee) with Council retaining the redeveloped public carpark.
Why are we doing this?
Council aims to respond to the growing issue of housing affordability in the City of Port Phillip to support the health and wellbeing of all residents.
As part of this project, we’re considering having Council-owned land at 46-58 Marlborough Street, Balaclava redeveloped into community housing to support lower income residents experiencing housing stress.
This offers an important opportunity for Council to retain a redeveloped public carpark and further provide residents with much needed community housing.
The City of Port Phillip is now ready to take the next steps with HousingFirst (formerly Port Phillip Housing Association) as Trustee of the Port Phillip Housing Trust (PPHT).
At the Ordinary Meeting of Council held on 15 August 2018, Council resolved to proceed with the conditional transfer of land at the site for community housing.
At the Ordinary Meeting of Council held on 7 March 2018, Council unanimously resolved to progress this redevelopment and enter into a Heads of Agreement with PPHA (as Trustee). According to the agreement, PPHA (as Trustee) will develop the site for community housing with Council retaining the redeveloped public carpark. The Heads of Agreement is available to review in the support documents below.
A number of important milestones as outlined above are required before the development of the site and its transfer to HousingFirst (as Trustee) could occur.
Council has given advance formal notice of its intention to sell the land and considered public submissions as required under the Local Government Act 1989.
HousingFirst has prepared a development application. This has recently been available for public viewing and community submissions. Council resolved (in December 2019) to approve the planning permit application.
Council resolved (on 6 May 2020) to extend the deadline for obtaining the development permit and construction funding, and to also carry out an additional detailed contamination investigation at the site. This report can be viewed here.
Architectural concept sketch
The Architectural concept sketch of the community housing development prepared by DOIG Architecture can be found here. This concept sketch is indicative only and subject to change. Should the project reach the stage of development application, the architectural concept will be the subject of a public exhibition process.
If you have further queries, please contact Anthony Savenkov, Senior Property Project Manager via ASSIST on 03 9209 6777.