• Local business
  • COVID-19
  • Media release

Shoppers can hit the pavement under temporary footpath trading permit exemption

Published 22 October 2021
Eligible local retail businesses can temporarily set up shop on Port Phillip footpaths without a permit until they can reopen their doors to customers.

From today, footpath trading permits aren’t required until general indoor retailing can resume under the Victorian Government’s COVID-19 rules. This is contingent on the 80 per cent full vaccination rate being achieved, which is expected to happen between 31 October to 5 November.

Mayor Louise Crawford said Port Phillip Council had been inundated with requests from retail traders to be able to quickly and easily sell from footpaths as an interim measure.

“We want our local businesses to be able to get back to what they love doing without having to worry about red tape at this challenging time,” Cr Crawford said.

“This is an easy way for us to help traders ease into what we hope will be a very successful summer for our City and its local businesses,” she said.

“We worked quickly to facilitate outdoor dining parklets and footpath trading permits earlier in the pandemic. We have been doing things differently for some time now and will continue to look for every opportunity to support our City’s economic recovery.

"We know footpath trading isn’t feasible for every retailer but we want to make it happen for those eager to take up this option.”

Existing footpath trading rules must be followed so pedestrians and shoppers stay safe. These include goods being sold from a stand or table outside the relevant business, adequate public liability insurance and pedestrian zones remaining clear at all times.

There is no inequity to traders already holding outdoor dining footpath trading permits as fees have been waived until the end of the year.

If a trader wants to keep selling goods on the footpath after indoor retailing is allowed, they will need to apply for a permit.

For more information, visit Council's Footpath Trading Permit page.